Friday, October 30, 2009

Spring Cleaning for Cyclists

Well, I no longer wish to bitch and moan about the snow. I don't ski, and I am in good shape right now, so...what to do. Well, traditionally I start by destroying my fitness with a proper pub workout. I start with 160z curls, and stick with that for a couple of hours. Then I go for a stumble through my neighborhood looking for my house. Finally, I finish by doing my remote controle thumb presses.
This is actually a good time for cleaning up the old bicycles too. I pulled out a couple of different bikes and came up with a little list of some things we should think about for winter riding.
1. Don't ride your good bike. I know this is not what we were all thinking when we bought that Trek 3700 for "riding and stuff". I understand some of us have only one, mid ranged bicycles, due of course to our economics. But for riders with a bicyle with shocks, it would be benificial for you to have a rigid fork to swap out. You can do it yourself or take it to your local shop and have them sap it out, a service they will provide with a rigid fork if you purchas it locally.
2. Over lubricate your chain. The moisture from this season more than negate the fact that too much lube attracts dust. In this season, snow and rain will wash most of that off and make regular cleaning and relubing a necessity, so don't skip this step.
3. Fenders make riding this season more likely, and more enjoyable. And with today's selections you can find something that enhances your bicycle.
With these three tips, I hope you can enjoy your bicycle longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment